[UK-CONTEST] Contesting - What's the point?

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 26 06:59:24 EST 2006

Yes but not SD on this Reflector!!

Yes, I am the same. I was reluctant to leave Turbolog for Logger32 for
general logging but soon realised how good Logger32 was, despite a few
shortcomings which I also ignore. Same when I decided to move from NA,
sure it didn't score RSGB things and sure it didn't support IOTA
initially, but I had been comfortable with it for several years and
sticking a .log file into Excel to score it was no big deal. Writelog
was a real challenge made more difficult by lack of support, the manual
was good for finding out things it didn't tell you and then we had the
big network problem at GU8D last year, only to find out the writer
already new about it! I looked around and re-discovered N1MM. The team
support for updates, corrections etc is fantastic and it certainly is so
easy to use. I just love the challenge of learning ESM technique.

The main thing when choosing a logging program for me is will it do what
I want it to do, rather than what the writer wants me to do! N1MM
handles networking very efficiently and robustly, so taking last weekend
for example. I had three choices 1) A multi-op entry with a new
contester I am mentoring, 2) A single op serious entry or C) Make a few
QSOs to try out the 40m phased array late on Sunday morning.  As it
happens, the choice had to be C, but for A or B I would not have wanted
to face the choice of a selecting a program which does support
networking or switch to a program that doesn't support networking. That
doesn't make sense.

Whilst we are making confessions, I have to say I have used the mouse a
few times with N1MM, something I am very reluctant to do. Adjusting
radio controls, using the keyboard and, in a CW contest, using the
external keyer paddles is enough. I am still in the beginner stage with
ESM so firstly the ability to see what the next F Key message will be by
looking at the simulated F key pad on the screen really helps, and then
if you have got out of sequence by sending say the exchange on the
external keyer, you can grab the mouse and click on Log It, rather than
sending the wrong message. Hopefully as I get more proficient I will be
less reliant on the mouse and stuff back underneath the plinth were it
belongs in a contest!

OK on the Star project. well I'm still almost (!) enjoying my retro
days. The Drake R4B is stripped down, I just need to remember where the
wires from the PTO and Xtal switch pack go, and then I will start
re-assembling the front panel.

Chris G3SJJ