[UK-CONTEST] UK-Contest Digest, Vol 38, Issue 38

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 14:32:07 EST 2006

Justin Snow wrote:

>>From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk>
>

>>Another point, if writing a how-to-do-it article: the requirements for a
>>minimum acceptable exchange are different on HF and VHF. On HF it would
>>be bad contest/DX operating for both stations to exchange both
>>callsigns; but on VHF it's mandatory in contests (in all of  IARU Region
>>1 and in ARRL contests) and regarded as mandatory for DXing too.
>
>Funny, I have never had to transmit both callsigns in an exchange in any
>VHF contest I have ever done.  The only contest I know where it is
>mandatory to transmit both callsigns is in the EU sprint, on HF.

VHF CC General Rule 4a:
"The contest exchange consists of at least both callsigns, RS(T) signal
reports followed by a serial number, and the IARU locator. Particular
contests may require additional information to be exchanged as described
in the individual contest rules."

IARU Region 1 VHF/UHF/Microwave rules do not explicitly require exchange
of both callsigns, but elsewhere the Region 1 VHF Managers' Handbook
defines that:
"A contact between stations on VHF/UHF/Microwaves can only be judged as
having been complete when have been exchanged
- Both Callsigns
- The signal reports
- Confirmation of reception of the above."

A similar definition is used for ARRL VHF+ contests, and in all cases
this is a trickle-down from the minimum requirements for valid meteor
scatter and moonbounce QSOs.

Once again, I am not setting this up in opposition to the standards that
apply on HF. They're just different rules that only apply in their own
territories.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK