[UK-CONTEST] MM0BQI AFS SSB

Jim Martin - MM0BQI MM0BQI at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 02:03:52 EST 2006

Arrived on the bands about 1500 and things were busy.  Tuned up and down to work the loudest stations then attempted to find a clear spot to try running.  No success whatsoever!  There always seemed to be a layer two or three Qs deep, maybe not too loud but my 50 watts was obviously being drowned out at the receiving end.  Worked about six stations S+P of which five were GMs. Back to S and P and managed to work most of the stations I could hear properly.  The band certainly died here after 1700 with a few loud G stations remaining as beacons but the rest fading out to be replaced by weak and watery continentals.  Total of 83 Qs, (19 GMs, no EU) 50 watts to a low loaded dipole.
I had a visitor to the shack who I introduced to RTTY contesting previously and thought SSB would be more fun for him, not on this performance!
Jim,  MM0BQI