[UK-CONTEST] Draft of New Licence - various questions

Michael Ruttenberg G7TWC g7twc at rutty.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Jul 8 05:03:46 EDT 2006

Got various questions about this draft document.

How do Ofcom plan on handling a person handling more than 1 callsign? e.g.
M3 and G7, and possibly a club station callsign and a club station short
callsign. That's 4 callsigns assigned to a single login. Sounds like a
possible recipe for error.

How will Ofcom handle the reassignment of a designated user for a club
callsign to a different user? What process will be required to do this,
given that currently you can fill in the slip and send it back changing your
details. Personally I have not held a club callsign but if I did and I
wanted to reassign it to another club member who takes over the secretarial
position, how would I go about this on the new system? It's not just a
change of address, it's a change of name too.

Does the new draft need to/should it contain mention of short calls/special
calls, and who to contact for authorisation of this? I don't recall these
being in BR68.

What happens if a callsign is currently lapsed and after 1st October 06 the
user wants to renew it? What is the process for getting it renewed? I am
guessing you'd need to send in the old paperwork but are Ofcom going to
continue to deal with old paper licences ongoing (for years in some cases)
in order to migrate them to the new system. It may be that if Ofcom only
migrate current up-to-date licences then older, expired licences would get
left behind. Hopefully that isn't the case, but the question should be
asked.

Mike
G7TWC