[UK-CONTEST] UK-Contest Digest, Vol 41, Issue 33

Geoffg4afj at aol.com Geoffg4afj at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 19:02:32 EDT 2006

Hello All,

Ref the allocation of deceased callsigns. I guess Ofcom are trying to close
the door so that the G two letter calls become available for  allocation as
vanity callsigns in the same way that DVLA did with car  registrations.

If anyone is interested RSGB's library has a copy of G5UM's notes on  the old
two letter callsign series and this shows that many of the two letter  suffix
calls were re-allocated. I am not sure when the idea of a callsign being
peculiar to its holder came in. Note also in the doc that Ofcom says something
about the callsign being the property of, or some such of the SoS,  ie I do
not own G4AFJ I am just permitted to use it, so how does that match up with me
leaving it in my will to someone else? Exactly same as car regs!

73, Geoff