[UK-CONTEST] GB5HQ

Contesting contesting at m5aav.org.uk
Thu Jun 15 18:19:19 EDT 2006

Quoting from the message of Thu, 15 Jun 2006 22:31:57 +0100 from
"Douglas Maxwell" <douglas.maxwell at virgin.net> :

> Graham,
>     Have another read at my posting. I think you are from inside the
> contesting community are you not? If you can point me to any discussions on
> GB5HQ selection process on this reflector I'd be most interested.

I am not sure what you mean by being 'Inside the community'.

I am a contester agreed, with certificates on the wall to prove my
[limited] abilities.

I am not directly associated with either GB5HQ or any selection
processes, which as far as I am aware are not discussed on this
reflector, and in my opinion have no need to be.

I do happen to be the QSL Manager for one of the participating stations
- G6PZ and am privy [if that is the word] to the sheer hard work and
determined efforts which are put into this little  'jolly'.
This includes not just turning up on the day, but is at the moment
taking up several evenings a week by most of the operators in software
familiarisation.
{All stations are networked for logging and spotting purposes]
I know also that G6PZ in an attempt to improve his 15m capabilities
[They are running 15m SSB] has invested in another beam and tower [ That
will be 3 in the air ] and nobody is going to help him pay for that, so
there is a financial consideration as well.

I can only refer to Callums post.He was invited to take part. All the
Ops have, in my opinion, 'proved themselves in battle'. After all you
would not be invited to take even an F1 Testdrive until you had proved
yourself in Karts/Formulla Renault and Formula 3000 at the very least.
But that is not to say that you shouldn't offer your services.

Even though two of my Certs are for Leading G, and Winner Zone 27 in the
2004 and 2005 IARU Champs, I do not consider myself anywhere near good
enough to even contemplate mixing it with the 'Big Boys', even after
being on the air for 26 years now.

73

Graham