[UK-CONTEST] GB5HQ

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 15 18:48:23 EDT 2006

Doug, maybe you are confusing this with the selection for WRTC teams,
where there is a pretty stringent points system. For GB5HQ there isn't a
formal process but  I guess there are several layers of suitability.

The first layer being the ability to fund and build a world-competitive
station such as G3LZQ, G0OUR, G3TXF, GU4YOX, G4BUO, M6T, G6PZ etc. As
Graham said, we all know when the contest is, so if you felt your
station was equal to or better than these you ought to have made that
known soon after last year's event.

The next layer is usually a group of operators known to the station
owner as proven top class contesters. A station host will want to know
that he hasn't wasted his time and money, and equally that his team will
be able to contribute effectively to the overall GB5HQ team performance.
Again, if you have operated consistently with a host or some of his team
over a number of years you would have known when to make a push for
inclusion.

A third layer has opened up, which is where Callum fits in. There are a
very limited number of places for an additional operator within some
teams, but as in the second layer some kind of personal recommendation
is really needed to make sure the above criteria are carried forward.

I hope that clarifies things a bit for you.   Chris G3SJJ