[UK-CONTEST] Foundation Licence

Alan Pounder alanp at f2s.com
Mon May 1 18:06:12 EDT 2006

The analogy of the M3 licence with a motorcycle licence doesn't stand up if
you consider the death rate for inexperienced radio operators crashing their
equipment! The reason for the time limit on the L-plate for a motorcycle
rider was to force them into training that may give them the experience and
knowledge to avoid killing themselves or others on the roads. If they failed
to take up the training and demonstrate their competence to operate lethal
machinery, then it is only common sense to remove the privilege to be on the
road as an incentive to train and improve.

Whilst many M3's I have met through training courses at my local club have a
keenness and desire to progress in the hobby (note the word - hobby), there
are also a number who for whatever reason cannot continue to spend the time
and money on further learning. A large number of M3's are young persons who
may be about to move on in further education and may simply not have time
for the next stage of training and examinations until they have finished
their education (and then work and possibly families can get in the way). I
speak from experience here as I passed the RAE back in 1970 yet I didn't
have the time or money to put together a transmitting station until the mid
1980's when I finally felt able to apply for a callsign.

While I agree that the present restrictions applied to the different classes
of licence are difficult to enforce when they are based on power levels, and
I do feel that the licencing system should be incentive based, I do not
believe putting a time limit on the validity of a licence is a step that
should be taken. Restrictions on allowed frequency may be more realistic, by
only permitting operation within segments of bands.

Alan M0DAL (ex. G1WFM)