[UK-CONTEST] Generator reccomendations?

Adrian Rees rees.a at btconnect.com
Tue May 16 17:34:28 EDT 2006

I have a 1600W 4 Stroke Generator. Originally there was a choice of two,
1200W and 1600W.
I bought it when it was badged as  "Blue Spot"

At the moment the Screwfix Catalogue has the 1200W Version badged as
Wolf Power (in a pleasant Yellow...)This is the same one Ray, G3HRH
mentions. (I think Ray emailed me about them....can't remember !)

Anyway I have found it to be a fine generator, certainly capable of
running a 100W Station. In fact We once used it to supply a VHF NFD
entry, with 100W on 6, 100W on 2 and 50 on 70cm.

The comment I have to make about using generators, is that the voltage
sag when going from RX to TX can be too much for Switched Mode Power
Supplies...I saw two Watson Switched Mode PSU's fail because of this,
whereas the good old fashioned Transformer, Rectifier and beefy
Capacitor type survived fine.

The comment about hiring higher power generators to prevent Voltage lag
is a very valid one. I ran a 400W station in the ARRL RTTY Roundup
Contest one year, from a /P location, only to find the 5kW Diesel
Generator sagging on TX, and the Rig going nuts because the voltage
dropped on TX. In the end it was only stable enough to run about 150W.

Currently there are a number of Generators on the ex Mil - surplus
market. BUT BE VERY CAREFUL....

At lot of these came from the Ptarmigan UHF Comms System, which to a
certain extent is still in use. These generators are badged as Plessey,
rated at 240v Single or 3 Phase at something like 15kW. However they are
400Hz, and very expensive to get spares for.

Alternatively the old Onan Petrol generators used by the now defunct C70
Radio Relay vehicles are a good buy. Rated at(240V / 50Hz) 3.5kW and
easily capable of 5kW. Very simple maintenance, battery or hand started
and generally bomb proof....but do watch the large generator cooling fan
vent. I saw one or two guys look into it and get a shot of grit straight
in the eye.

Going higher in power, the 15kW Trailer or Skid mounted ones are out
there, and I seem to remember Remploy in Hull having some for about
£1500. Not bad for a very well maintained Lister or Onan diesel
generator on a trailer.

73

Adrian