[UK-CONTEST] Generator reccomendations?

Peter Hobbs peter at tilgate.co.uk
Tue May 16 17:52:36 EDT 2006

Hi all,
A year or so ago, we were bidding for an MoD job called Light Weight Field
Generator (LFG) and during that effort, I investigated chinese diesel
gennies.  We bought a sample 2.5KW electric start aircooled version direct
from DEK
http://www.dek-engine.com/generator.htm
for the princely sum of USD 340, plus of course shipping which was another
USD 150.  A number of larger models are also available.  I "acquired" the
sample after we won the job and it is a really rugged and reliable beast,
much quieter in terms of rf noise than any petrol alternative.  They make
them in the tens of thousands to run irrigation pumps etc. all over China.
Output is normal AC plus 12VDC at 18A.
I was thinking if a few peeps got together, a significant saving could be
made.  Spares are dirt cheap (we bought a full set for another 40 bucks to
go with the sample).

DEK does respond to english emails but there is usually a day's translation
delay in getting a reply and they need the cash transferred before shipment.
I suspect the B&Qs of this world import them by the container load and sell
them at the UK "market price".

Another possible solution for keen and skint folks.

Peter G3LET