[UK-CONTEST] Generator reccomendations?

Ray Goff ray at g4fon.co.uk
Wed May 17 02:45:57 EDT 2006

Paul,

Far be it from me to question your wisdom, but the plant hire companies will
hire you a generator for the weekend for around £30. The one that the Oxford
club uses for NFD runs 2.5 KW and is electrically noise free and quiet
enough if you put it up wind of the station!

For the few outings we do a year, it doesn't seem worth the cost of buying
one, finding somewhere to store it and also maintaining it.

In your deliberations, I would consider a diesel generator from the point of
view of safety - particularly if you plan to fill the genny while it is
running; diesel is much less flammable than petrol! However, on the flip
side, if you let a diesel genny run dry it is a real bugger to get started
again as you need to bleed the injectors.

73

Ray, G4FON