[UK-CONTEST] Generator reccomendations?

Peter Hobbs peter at tilgate.co.uk
Wed May 17 19:32:41 EDT 2006

Laurence,

These generate at DC and then  invert electronically to produce AC output.
This has the advantage that the engine doesn't have to run at a specific or
even a constant speed to produce the required 50 or 60Hz output frequency.
Also, the full output power can be delivered at DC when needed.  In fact
they usually run quite a bit faster than traditional generators in order to
maximise the power to weight ratio, with resultant reduction in engine life.
We ended up supplying several thousand of this type to MoD, where they had
to fit into a confined space on a vehicle and meet H&S requirements for
2-man lift.  However the inverters get quite a hammering and tend to be less
forgiving of peak loads than rotating machinery.  Reliability is not
therefore as good as the traditional architecture where the generator
delivers AC directly.  The EMC performance also compares to a switched mode
PSU as opposed to a standard linear supply.  We therefore had to jump
through narrow hoops to get near to meeting the MoD EMC requirement and this
had eventually to be concessed.

For typical ham use, I would therefore not recommend them for reasons of
cost, rf noise and reliability.

Peter G3LET