[UK-CONTEST] Generator recommendations

Chris Tran zl1ct at gm7v.com
Wed May 17 04:19:37 EDT 2006

Hi Paul et al

I've been accused of being obsessive about preparations for a contest, but
in the old days of VHF NFD we used to set up the complete station in the
back garden and power it up using the actual generator we were going to
use - this proves 100% what will happen when on top of a windy wet hill
trying to get more than 150W out of an amp. that delivers 400W easily in the
shack.

Another important issue with petrol generators is fuel tank capacity - if
you are buying or hiring one of the smaller (1.0-3.0kVA) generators, try to
get one with tank capacity of 12L or more. I think this is an option on some
models of Honda generator?

I'll be signing GM2MP/P in NFD this year, with Cris GM4FAM. Cris says 'hi'
to all old friends and should be on e-mail and this reflector in the next
few days.

73
Chris
GM3WOJ