[UK-CONTEST] Help - planning conditions needed

John Lemay john at carltonhouse.eclipse.co.uk
Fri May 19 03:00:33 EDT 2006

Ian

Really sorry to hear of your problems.

I have consent from Colchester Borough Council which dates from 1994. I have
an EP45 Versatower, which is three section with a max height of 45ft to the
top of the head unit. I consider that the lower-than-usual retracted height
was useful in gaining consent. My drawing included one beam antenna shown in
profile, about 5m long on a modest stub mast.

I am in a location which "would in the opinion of the local authority,
affect the setting of a listed building", (the nearby White Hart).

My consent has one condition which reads "The mast shall be fully retracted
when not in use as illustrated in the submitted plan hereby returned.
Reason: In the interests of visual amenity". Clearly, this refers to the
potential of a visitors front view of the pub, with a mast sitting behind
it, gleaming in the setting sun. It has to be said that my view of the rear
of the pub leaves an awful lot to be desired.

I must say that I've adhered to this condition in its broadest sense,
because "in use" can be interpreted in so many different ways. The Council
has never contacted me about enforcing it.

The Council did contact me however when I exceeded the consented one yagi by
putting up a box of four 2m yagis, and it happened pretty quickly too. I
think it co-incided with the arrival of a new nearby neighbour.

A lot has happened on the radio scene since 1994, and much as I'd like to
move to a better site, the prospect fills me with gloom because I'm sure
that it would be so much more difficult now to gain permission. Every mast
seems to have "warning - radio waves will harm your health" written all over
it.

Regards

John G4ZTR