[UK-CONTEST] 6m multipath

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Fri May 26 19:07:37 EDT 2006

A tad off the contest topic, your forbearance is craved

Here in south GW we are quite familiar, both on HF and VHF, with reflections
off the various hills, which imparts a characteristic multi-path effect, not
unlike that which one hears on W6/7 signals on HF. However, very recently
something quite different has occurred on 6m, between myself in Glam. (IO81)
and Geoff/GW3LEW in Pembs ( IO71).

The other day Geoff reported hearing two distinct signals from me, with a
quite a significant time lag between them, probably in the order of the
delay with which many of you CW ops will be familiar during ( F2) back
scatter conditions using QSK. I had not heard this on Geoff, but today ,
when we were both beaming SE, with strong Es propagation from HA and the
Balkans, I did. The effect was quite bizarre, just as if there were two
identical transmissions separated by some milliseconds. In days of yore I
remember this same effect when running meteor scatter on 2m. In this case it
was often accompanied by a Doppler shift, which certainly does not occur in
this scenario.

Sooooh , we wonder what's going on, are we getting Es backscatter perhaps;
has anyone else experienced similar?

Thanks for the bandwidth

73

Clive