[UK-CONTEST] Transatlantic meteor scatter?

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Mon May 29 06:43:30 EDT 2006

Hi list

Further to my recent note about Es back scatter on 6m, and now with my HF
hat on, you might- if you are very bored- be interested in the following
extract of my otherwise mundane  report to friends about WPX.

<snip>
While beamed due West on 21Mhz, working a few PYs, strong LUs, and the odd
very weak USA, I was called by VC3J, with no other VEs audible. He was a lot
stronger then the US, and in the middle of the exchange, I got a very
definite meteor bust from him, wow! That is something I have never , ever
heard before! For the HFers amongst you, MS occurs in the E layer of course,
and therefore the implication is that the path to VE was double hop Es, and
that at one end or other, this was reinforced by meteor scatter. Now I am no
statistician, so I don't know whether the incidence of reflections is less
on the double hop path , but in practice it is verrrry rare. Something else
learned in a contest!

<snip>

Has anyone else ever experienced MS on the transatlantic path? Naturally it
could only be a summer phenomenon, and there aren't many contests in that
period of course.

73

Clive
GW3NJW