[UK-CONTEST] Further to Generators...

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Tue May 30 12:06:10 EDT 2006

ADRIAN REES wrote:
>Hi all
>I have recently moved into a new QTH. Its a good VHF location as its
>located 1,200 Feet ASL with a clear take off North round East to South
>(Clear to some 90 - 120Km) with a flat take off to the West.
>
>I am planning on putting the shack in what I call "the top field",
>which is located some 450 Metres from the house. This is the best
>location, height wise, and for positioning of the masts, as they will
>be impossible to view from all but one of the neighbours due to the way
>the land lies. However, supplying power to the shack is going to be a
>problem...I suspect.
>
>It seems to me that I have a number of options, in general:
>
>1. Cable (costly in terms of Cable...and losses...and equipment what
>would a 12 - 20 V Drop do to a Valved Linear ?)
>2. Generator (costly to purchase...and run ?)
>3. Relocate the Shack (costly in terms of Coax Feeders...although I
>have a good supply of used LDF 4-50, 5-50 and 6-50).
>
>Comments anyone ?

Well, there's always the K2CBA method: two long runs of mains cables,
just laid on top of the blueberry bushes that covered the whole
hillside. It turned out he was using a pole transformer at each end, so
those cables were carrying about 5kV! To make the whole thing perfect,
the public were invited in to pick the blueberries.

On second thoughts, maybe not...

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK