[UK-CONTEST] Long Distance Feedlines

Brian Miller brianmiller at paradise.net.nz
Thu Nov 2 06:02:44 EST 2006

Hi Chris et al

Sorry about the delayed response - just catching up after reading through some
older messages from this reflector.

The ZL6QH open wire lines use 2.5mm to 3.5mm diameter wire and are spaced around
250mm to make a nominal 600 Ohm impedance. The correct spacing is important at
each end but it is acceptable to vary the spacing along the line. Wider spacing
allows you to get away with fewer spacers and longer spans.

Note that the ZL6QH lines are mounted about 5 metres AGL on telegraph poles to
keep them clear of stock, horses and vehicles.

The ZL6QH baluns are nominally 12:1 ratio. The capacitor helps to improve the
SWR by cancelling unwanted inductive reactance from the transformer. See
http://www.zl6qh.com/000225.html

73

Brian ZL1AZE