[UK-CONTEST] HF Beam/WARC dipole on same mast

Nigel G3TXF nigel at G3TXF.com
Sun Nov 5 07:44:23 EST 2006

Ian,

I have both a WARC dipole (D3W) and a 40m dipole sitting a few feet above a
tri-bander (KT34A).

Until recently I had the WARC dipole (directionally) parallel to the HF beam
and the 40m dipole (directionally) at right angles to both. However I
recently changed this round with the 40m dipole parallel to the HF beam and
the WARC dipole now at right-angles.

In terms of performance I can't say I have noticed any difference. But at a
practical level there is one important difference. In the past when rotating
the beam I just had to remember that 40m was at right-angles to the
indicated beam heading. i.e one band in seven was "the odd one out". However
now the WARC bands are "at right-angles". Not good. Three bands out of seven
are now "odd".

As soon as I can, I'll be putting the WARC dipole back in parallel with the
HF beam, and the 40m dipole back to being at right-angles. I'll then only
have to remember that 40m is the odd one out. Much easier for when chasing
the same piece of DX across the HF/WARC bands (30m-10m). Much less turning
of the antenna is involved.

73 - Nigel G3TXF