[UK-CONTEST] 80MCC: Data Legs

Andy Swiffin a.l.swiffin at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Nov 17 04:15:31 EST 2006

<455CEC24.3070303 at btinternet.com>, G3SJJ
<g3sjj at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Spot on Dave. I've tried listening to the stuff but it just gives me
> headache. My brain is just too old to decode it. I guess the younger

> guys can cope with and understand the noise.  Chris G3SJJ

Ahh Now I understand why you've been having difficulty - you aren't
meant to decode rtty and psk by ear, it's a brave attempt though and
you've obviously had some success judging by the comment on it giving
you a headache when doing it.  You clearly have skills far in excess of
mine, I have to use a machine and I don't even need to listen to it -
strangely my machine is completely speed and protocol agnostic and can
cope with all digital modes and speeds so I can't understand the other
comment that was made as to whether a computer can or can't handle a
format - they can handle them all.

I came back onto radio after a longish illness and found rtty
contesting a boon as I could still do it in a fairly fatigued state when
my voice would have (or had) packed up.

I'd therefore like to propose that SSB be dropped from the CC
competitions as it discriminates against those who are less physically
able - similarly CW (unless its generated _and_ decoded by computer, in
which case we could make it an honorary digital mode (nay - the founder
of digital modes)) as it also is discriminatory.

73
Andy
gm8oeg

p.s. I do hope the other comments against rtty contesting were made in
as 'tongue in cheek' vein as mine above - it would be a shame to dismiss
a mode who's mailing list (http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/rtty/)
generates rather more traffic than this one.