[UK-CONTEST] Amateur Radio? Was 80MCC: Data Legs

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Thu Nov 16 18:43:03 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Lawley" <g4buo at compuserve.com>

> ... RTTY isn't real contesting at all, it's just two
> computers talking to each other.

I'm with Dave on this one, and I'd go one step further. If
you can't understand or decode it, by ear in real time,
then it's not amateur radio.

Call it amateur computing, or amateur data processing, or
amateur internet or amateur whatever - but not amateur radio!

There's an infinite variety of data modes just waiting to be
"discovered", with all the redundancy and error checking
anyone could wish for - but the only modes that matter are
phone and CW (with an end-to-end analogue RF path).

IMHO

73,
Paul EI5DI