[UK-CONTEST] Macs, PCs& Linux

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Sat Nov 18 17:44:31 EST 2006

Hi Clive, (and copied to the list in case others are interested) ...

I guess with a question like you posed I had better step forward as a
mac devotee!

Like you suggest, I have done everything except contest logging on an
OSX mac for many years now.  I have also been working from time to
time with Don Agro VE3VRW who does some superb general operating and
logging software (MacLoggerDX - MLDX) and Satellite Software
(MacDoppler) to see if he would turn his hand to a killer contest
logger but our efforts suffer from the fact that there has been
insufficient demand from the Amateur/Mac community to justify a
commercial development, and also he is not a contester (and most of
the decent PC contest logging programs are developed by enthusiastic
contesters!).   There is some support for the less demanding (mainly
S&P single-op) contester in MLDX coupled with a post-processing app
by Scott NE1RD).

So for the past few years I have been employing a Windoze PC to do
the contest logging.  However with the advent of all Macs with Intel
Chips now, there are other options.  I have not had an Intel Mac to
play with in the shack yet but I expect to do this and some serious
testing in the new year when I plan my next Apple hardware upgrade!
But to answer your question, there are a number of options for
running Windows Apps on Macs now...

1) Boot Camp from Apple (http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/) -
which allows you to install a separate Windows o/s in a partition it
organises for you and then boot the whole machine into XP (will
support Vista later too) to run anything you like.  Because its Apple
they supply all the right drivers to drive the Apple hardware in all
the machines to work within Boot Camp.  Its a pretty good beta at the
moment but will be integrated into the next version of OSX
("Leopard") due Q1 2007.   Because it boots into Windows, everything
works with no emulation and its very fast on the latest Core 2 Duo
processor Macs.   The downside is that you have to reboot for Windows
- I consider this no problem for contest logging.

2) Parallels Desktop for Mac (http://www.parallels.com/en/products/
workstation/mac/) - which is an app that runs on OSX (so no
rebooting) and allows you to run any number of o/s side by side
(various flavours of Windows or Linux etc.)  providing you have
enough RAM etc.  Not quite as fast as Boot Camp but still as quick as
many PCs for many applications.  No good for fast action gaming but
apparently pretty good for other stuff.   Again like Boot Camp you
have to install Windows - this time on the virtual machine that
Parallels creates for you.   There are a few funnies with the Mac
hardware which have been reported but it gets better with each update
and seems to be quite popular.

3) CrossOver Mac for OSX by Codeweavers (http://www.codeweavers.com/
products/cxmac/) - which allows a very specific but growing set of
Windows apps to run within OSX without needing any Windows
installation or a Windows licence at all.  Not much good for amateur
use (i.e. contest logging apps) but ok if all you need is stuff like
MS Outlook, MS Visio, or MS  Project etc.

4) VMware (http://www.vmware.com/news/releases/mac.html) - not so
much known about this product yet but essentially provides a virtual
machine interface so you canrun an PC o/s on the OSX system.  They
have a history of providing similar virtualisation software for other
platforms so no reason to think their new OSX product will be any
different.

I plan to use Boot Camp in Leopard when released and when I have my
new Intel mac hardware.  I have no reason to believe it won't run
stuff like SD, N1MM, TacLog and all the other popular contest
loggers.  I hope to be able to test these on a borrowed Intel Mac in
the next month or so.  If anyone else has already done this, I would
be pleased to know.

Of course, if the fancy takes you, with a Mac you can also open a
UNIX terminal window if that's your fancy, and also run X11 apps
(there is a VHF & above contest logger which someone has written for
X11 for example! ).

Any other questions, don't hesitate to email me.
There is also a pretty useful ham mac mailing list (though US-centric
at present) - http://mailman.qth.net/mailman/listinfo/ham-mac

73,
Jonathan G0DVJ