[UK-CONTEST] 2nd 1.8Mhz Test-whoops..

Colin colin at g3psm.net
Sun Nov 19 11:33:14 EST 2006

johndunnington wrote:

<snipped>
> As Don commented the band was sure quiet with very loud Eu and some UK (not
> all) and I spent the last hour SWL'ing USA and VE. The strongest UK stations
> (exc locals) were the distant locations Nigel on Shetland, Clive in Orkney,
> Gavin in GM, YOX in Guernsey, Jan (Cornwall), Colin in Southhampton,  even
> Andy OEG was stronger than most non-local G's. All to be expected on the big
> vertical.

Interesting to know I was loud as it proves the antenna was at least
working on transmit, unfortunately as you probably noticed John I had
problems in copying.   I have a VERY high noise level on this band and I
suspect it could have something to do with my proximity to Southampton
Water and the docks!   My strongest signals were GM0GAV, GM3POI, GM8OEG
and GM8OEG.   Interestingly enough Nigel in Zetland was way down in the
noise.   As for the US station - nil, zilch, nada - nary a whisper!
The last hour and a half was a waste of time and energy.

Back to the drawing board but the size of my garden - long and thin (140
x  20 foot) precludes Delta Loops and the like while New Forest District
Council don't like antennas!

115 QSOs - 16 countries - 48 districts with an FT1000MP/FL7000,  132
foot long wire at 10 metres sloping to 5 metres.   Occasionally used the
DX77 vertical as a receive antenna.

Mind you I heard a well known RNARS member in the Portsmouth area who
runs a similar antenna setup as mine send a serial number of 78 just
before the end, so I guess I was not the only one suffering.

73

Colin, G3PSM