[UK-CONTEST] RSGB 160M Test - GU4YOX

Bob Beebe gu4yox at cwgsy.net
Sun Nov 19 14:36:26 EST 2006

Hi Everyone,

An interesting night on 160M and conditions were on the whole very good. Being nearly 100 miles south of England I'm sure is a disadvantage for districts? but I'm sure the GU is worth another 10 dB! Beacons of note were Justin, G4TSH/P who was booming +++, Gavin, GM0GAV who was loud here and Don G3BJ who also stood out well. The first hour is always hectic and I just plodded on with massive pile ups at times which slowed things a little but managed to get through OK enjoying the activity. I did enjoy myself though and went to bed just before 0200 after a beer. Got back up at 0630 to bag HK0GU for a new one whilst the vertical was up high! The weather was also kind allowing a higher than normal antenna set up.

Highlights were large numbers of USA calling me which at times sounded like a ringing noise due to deep QSB and several at the same time. Worked all I could hear. A few nice ones in there SV8 (x2), 7X0, Puerto Rico etc etc.  Also chuckled at times, especially with G3TX ? something calling mixed in with /P's Z's and E's blimey now where is he!!! You weren't strong but thanks Nigel, great let's have a write up!

Lowlights were few but one gripe is people just turning up on QRG and CQ CQ Test etc etc. Bonkers. A simple QRL? at 30 wpm would suffice first. This happened 3 times to me.  No Jersey heard :-( Everything else fine...

I have recently buit a remote Rx antenna switching box and added a second Beverage switchable from the shack - Wow! what a difference to chose East or West or my loop antenna. Really good fun, only took 30 mins to add this and took it down this morning. My noise levels were fine with the Rx ants.

SD was faultless and a big thanks to Paul for providing this to the community. Ideal for this contest. I've also installed double headed monitors which are particularly beneficial when things get a little busy.

In summary though, the following stats apply:

236 QSO's (4 dupes)
31 DXCC
54 Districts
85 Bonus total
1121 Points

FT1K Mk V + VL1K
Inverted L at 86' vert H - leg at 300 degrees
West and East Beverages
Shielded Loop Ant
SD Software
Heil Noise Cancelling cans

Looking forward now to CQWW 160M SOHP next weekend. Thanks for a great nights entertainment!

73
Bob
GU4YOX
KX6N