[UK-CONTEST] CQWW CW

Jim Martin mm0bqi at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 27 16:08:44 EST 2006

That was absolutely amazing fun! I missed out on the SSB leg and set myself
up for working 24 hours in my first 'serious' attempt at a CW contest.  I
was not disappointed and had to drag myself from the rig to meet other
commitments.  80m was just amazing I could have spent all my time there and
maybe will do a SB effort in the future.
I am constantly amazed at the quality of some of the DXpeditions.  Anyone
with the cash can travel to a sought after location and put out a great big
signal. I judge the quality on the way they operate and the magical way they
pull us little pistols from the noise and make our day!  On many occasions
this weekend I was struggling to hear the DX and then all of a sudden my
call comes back and its over in seconds.  That for me is a huge enjoyment,
the thrill of the chase and plugging away until you get a result.  Having
said that, I have to complain to TZ5A for failing to hear my 50 watts and
damp string on 40m during the last hour of the contest, after all the
pile-up was only about ten deep!  I mention them because they pulled me
through on 80m which was without doubt the highlight of a fantastic weekend,
THANKS!
73
Jim,  MM0BQI

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: EDINBURGH
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:
   80:  192    15       67
   40:  124    15       54
   20:  143    15       46
   15:   55    12       23
   10:    9     4        9
------------------------------

Club: Summer Isles Radio Club
Comments:
The best fun I have had in ages!  This was my first 'serious' effort in a CW
contest and I set goals of 500 Qs, 20 new band slots and 4 new countries.
In
the end I achieved 523 Qs, 14 new band slots and two new countries.  Not bad
for 20 hours effort! The antennas are a limiting factor here with wire
dipoles
stretched across the roof and bent to fit the small garden.  Despite this I
worked TZ on three bands, ZL, HC8, B7 and lots of others (more to do with
their
ears and receivers I think!) Looking at the spread of zones worked I see I
am
not really getting out to the DX and had to work very hard for everything
outside Europe and the US.  80m was a great place to be, even with the low
loaded dipole I worked the world, possibly an 80m single band effort in the
future....
Thanks for all the Qs it was great fun.
Log will be uploaded to LOTW after the contest deadline for any one who
needs
confirmation.
73
Jim,  MM0BQI
50 watts to 80/40 loaded dipole in the garden and 10/15/20m nested dipoles
above the flat roof.  Plans to erect the HF2V after dark were blown away by
the gale force winds!