[UK-CONTEST] CQWWCW - G4FKA

g4fka at aol.com g4fka at aol.com
Tue Nov 28 04:33:41 EST 2006

Another story from the wire antennas brigade. Mine was an entirely search
and pounce entry using the IC-756ProIII, 100w, MFJ auto-tuner, 30m inverted V
doublet at 10m and a 10m wire vertical with the base at ground level and a few
radials. 160/80 QSOs on the doublet and most of the rest on the vertical.

Bands were busy throughout, not bad for sunspot bottom. Didn't operate  all
the way through. Did the first four hours then around 11 hours on Sat  and 12
on Sun. Made 934 QSOs with a band spread for 160/80/etc of
57/250/202/207/201/17. 40m was best for DXCC count.

On 160 the 57 Qs were spread around 31 countries so some useful additions  to
the DXCC count. Thanks to the stations who took the time to pull out my weak
signal. Heard stations from across the Atlantic but no joy for the log.

10 opened up on Sunday to USA, Indian Ocean etc but none of the  DX very
strong here so didn't spend any time chasing it.

15 on Sunday morning had an odd multi-path fading effect. A  station would
transmit; the main signal would then be followed by one or more  signals by
other paths in rapid succession that combined to almost kill the main  signal like
an overdamped control loop. Like a multiple echo with very rapid  decay. The
stations effected were eastern Europe/Russia but I also noticed it on  some
very local stations (eg a GW). It disappeared later on and I didn't  notice it
on any other band. I thought I'd heard most effects over the years but  that
one was new to me. I wonder if anyone else spotted it?

Overall plenty of activity to keep it interesting and a good spread  across
the bands. Next challenge is to improve the antennas for 160 in a 40 foot
garden without having to put up a mighty vertical!

Geoff G4FKA