[UK-CONTEST] Time off for Contesting.

Don Field don.field at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 06:50:10 EST 2006

Mm, curiouser and curiouser. I used to sail, but I always regarded it as a
hobby, not a sport (for me at least). Not sure where it stops being one and
starts being the other.

WRTC started at the "Goodwill Games" in Seattle for a number of those
competitive (surely that's the key word?) activities that didn't qualify for
the Olympics.

I guess the problem I have always had with sports is that they seem to fall
into various categories:

1. Those that are genuinely popular, and therefore commercially viable
(tennis, rugby, football at the highest levels) - fine!
2. Those that are not viable without external funding - why should I fund
someone's "hobby" just because it happens to require a certain physical
prowess (often inherited - ability to run fast, or whatever) - but if these
exist, why can't radio amateurs play too?

Does snooker require physical prowess? Or darts? They only became popular
(other than as hobbies) with the advent of colour TV I suspect?

It all seems rather arbitrary to me! (head down, this is obviously an
emotive subject!)

Don G3XTT