[UK-CONTEST] IOTA 2006 RESULTS (provisional)

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Thu Oct 12 06:53:06 EDT 2006

On 12 Oct 2006 at 8:50, johndunnington wrote:

> Don Can I propose a vote of thanks to all involved for the results..the ink
> is hardly dry on my QSL Cards and yet you guys pull off a remarkable turn
> around.
>
> I do hope this now convinces the few who go on about slow responses to
> results etc..if they don't have a computer they should get one! It is 2006..

The addition of UBN reports to this years entries is a useful
improvement. As one of the 'volunteers' who typed up paper logs (and
got a whole bunch of emails from the robot this morning) it was
instructive to check the UBNs for those logs. This showed fairly
dramatically what a disadvantage those submitting paper logs are at.

It was an eye opener in fact how bad the logs were. Some of them had
obviously been typed up post contest and the entrant had introduced
his own errors at that stage. A relatively small number of errors had
been introduced when I made typing errors putting them into SD but
the vast majority errors were very clearly in the source log. In the
hand written logs there were also errors when I misread their
writing, and it is certainly pretty hard at times. I was amazed in
some cases where the chap had lost 30% or so QSOs due to clear errors
on his part - it would be interesting to see how computer generated
logs compare in this respect, is some peoples CW copying ability
really as bad as it appears from these logs?

I was however pleased that in general my own accidental typing errors
did not affect the overall scores to a significant degree. But those
who do choose to send as paper must realise what a problem they are
generating for themselves.

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com