[UK-CONTEST] CQWW SSB contest

Callum M0MCX callum at mccormick.uk.com
Tue Oct 31 06:02:39 EST 2006

Graeme,

Although I'd love to be a bigger station, current house style precludes any
investment in antennas. I did have a small tower but contesting in towns is
bl**dy impossible in the UK.

I entered the unofficial category "Wires under 30 feet" with two full sized
loops and various loft wires for 547 Qs and 153,000 points (all band). Qs
>From 160 to 10:  20/128/121/148/59/70

My contest preparation was driving from half-term hols in Ireland via ferry
to Solihull on Friday night calling my contesting chums on car phone, trying
to work out whether I should do single band or multi - and what antennas
could I rustle together in time for my estate house! Got the kids in bed by
10:00pm but no time or energy to erect anything "exotic" (got a temporary 15
meter high fibreglass mast but never got around to getting it up this
weekend).

For those of you who enjoy improvising, I achieved my 20 Qs on 160 by
cutting a 2 meter section out the back end of my 80m loaded full-sized loop,
opposite the feed-point and made a 160m Halo. Mismatch handled by outboard
tuner. Band changes in this configuration between 160 and 80 were a trifle
complicated so I only did 90 minutes on 160 in total.

Callum.