[UK-CONTEST] UK-Contest Digest, Vol 52, Issue 16

Dave Sergeant dave at davesergeant.com
Mon Apr 16 03:40:00 EDT 2007

On 15 Apr 2007 at 9:44, David Ferrington wrote:

> I used Super Check Partial in the last 2m contest I did, because its
> part of the logging program and is used to check you haven't worked
> the call before. I didn't use it to help complete the call.

I suspect David, as he admits who is relatively new to contesting, is
confusing SCP with duplicate checking. The latter is a built in
function in any contest logging program which deserves the name and
is just used to flag stations you have already worked in that
particular contest. Since you get no points for unmarked duplicates
that is an essential function and is there just to make your
participation in the contest more efficient. In the old days we used
to use paper dupe sheets, things have moved on since then...

Super Check Partial is a database set up by Randy K5ZD of callsigns
of known participants of major HF contests. It is built up from logs
as submitted by stations, submitted by volunteers to the program.
When used in a contest your logging software is configured to do a
lookup of callsigns as you enter them which then suggests what the
full callsign might be. For instance if I type in G3M it might
suggest G3MCS and G3MEM as possibilities. It is still up to you to
find out which one it really is... It has drawbacks, for instance I
am constantly confused with G3YEC who I keep bumping into in the
pileups, even though SCP also has G3YMC in it... It basically
'suggests' callsigns and gives no information whatsoever about those
calls apart from an implication that they have been active in
previous HF contests. It is built only from logs of international and
ARRL HF contests and it is most unlikely many stations David worked
in the recent 2m club activity contests (or any other UK VHF/UHF
contest) would be in there.
See http://k5zd.contesting.com/scp/index.html for more information on
SCP.

On a related matter, the logging program I have been using for my
rare ventures into 2m contests is G0GJV's Minos. This has a feature
of doing lookups on previous contest logs - you just open those logs
and it automatically displays data for your QSOs with the station in
the other logs. As such it shows Locator, QTH or postcode information
so is giving part of the exchange without having to copy it live.
There again, knowing the other station's location is useful on vhf
where you need to point beams and things (if one had those of
course...).

I am not sure I fully understand the new vhf contest packet rules
however. In the first breath it says they are banned, then it seems
to encourage passing information about what dx you have worked to
help others. A grey area indeed. In my view if you are connected to
the cluster you are mult-op, full stop, regardless of how or if you
use it...

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com