[UK-CONTEST] Contest Results...Russian Booklet!

Nigel G3TXF nigel at G3TXF.com
Fri Apr 27 15:51:46 EDT 2007

Today a 48-page high gloss Contest Results booklet dropped through the post from the organisers of the 2006 Russian DX Contest.

It's superb. Loads of tables, comments, analysis and colour photos too. As has been noted on here before, the numbers of logs received for the R-DX-C are growing dramatically i.e 2004: 2,007, 2005: 2,581 and 2006 : 2,864.

I'm not sure in what world the management and editorial staff at RSGB HQ reside. The reality in the outside world of Amateur Radio (beyond Potters Bar perhaps) is that Contesting and DXing operating ARE the key drivers of this hobby of ours on a global basis. That's where the real excitement, major increase in activity and largest growth potential are to be found. The content of our Society's journal needs to reflect this more. Let's have less of this constant trimming back of coverage of the key drivers of our hobby.

And the publication of the full results of the RSGB's own contests are, of course, just part of it.

73 - Nigel G3TXF

PS : And no, unfortunately I won't be at the AGM in Edinburgh tomorrow (I was in Scotland for the GM-DX Convention only last week). However there's one question that someone in the audience might care to ask: if the publishers and editorial staff for RadCom believe they have the right 'mix' of content, why does it appear to be so difficult to regularly sell advertising space on the all-important outside back cover?