[UK-CONTEST] Short contest calls

Frank frank at knockycoid.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 2 07:49:07 EST 2007

Colin,
I would welcome the opportunity to have a short call, or at least one without a J.  This letter take an age to send and, on the rare occasions that I venture onto phone, I find a lot of operators confuse it with letter G.
I do find a big difference operating in major contests with short call GM3W of the Wigtownshire ARC compared with my own call GM3JKS in smaller events.
When I applied for my licence back in 1953, calls being issued were  in the middle of the J series.  I asked if I could have one of the next series to come because K was less tedious to send than J.  Such a request in those days apparently was not possible but they relented a little a gave me G3JKS!!
I would have thought that there was something to said for allowing the issue of short SK calls after an agreed period of time had elapsed if no member of the family meantime had requested its use.

Frank, GM3JKS