[UK-CONTEST] Short calls

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 6 07:17:25 EST 2007

Good to hear the transatlantic perspective Roger, which I personally
think is the correct one. In this regard I saw an interesting quote on
cq-contest on a somewhat different subject, but nevertheless relevant I
think.

<People don't have call signs. Radio stations have call signs.>

The author was K0HB.

So I asked my station , and it would take a short call in the blink of
an LED!

We have names, but even my relatively unusual combination can be
duplicated many times over. I found this to my cost, when buying this
QTH, when I had to swear an affidavit that I was not the undischarged
bankrupt of the same name living in Essex. I bet he didn't do CW though!

So let's lighten up and reissue old Gx two letter calls to those who
want them if no relative ( not a third cousin once removed ;-) ) wants
them within a year or so.

Oh did I mention callsign licence plates on this side cost GBP500 :-(

btw I agree with another correspondent that a reasonable fee should be
charged for a vanity call. Those who want it must be prepared to stump
up, bur perhaps not GBP500 ;-)

73

Clive
GW3NJW