[UK-CONTEST] Short calls

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 15:27:34 EST 2007

I really don't see the problem with reissuing
callsigns. I believe I am the third holder of VE3ZI
and I'm quite sure I won't be the last. I actually
like the idea that someone else will keep the call
active after I'm gone. I do know a little about the
previous holders and hope that I am maintaining their
standards. (Bit hard as one of them was a radio
inspector!)

There are no doubt countless thousand of people called
'Roger Parsons' around the world - does that make it
any less my personal name?

In Canada relatives have one year to 'claim' a
callsign and after that it is available for anyone.
Seems perfectly fair and reasonable to me. The current
situation in the UK is grotesquely unfair where a few
people can manage to find a tenuous connection to a
pre-war callsign when most can not.

The UK has more callsign blocks than any other country
in the world - it's time we used them! Anyone for
ZQ1A?

Oh, and callsign licence plates are $25 here.

73 Roger
G3RBP/VE3ZI