[UK-CONTEST] FT1kmp partially dead

John Wayman g4drs at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 8 12:54:01 EST 2007

Sorry for the Off-Topic stuff, but so many of you have or used to have FT1kmp, I thought this was the best place to ask.
Further investigation reveals that the sub-rx works fine on all bands.
I believe this would indicate that the correct VCO is not being selected on the Local Unit, or that the correct VCO has stopped working, so the 1st mixer does not get the right frequency to produce the 70MHz 1st IF. Problem is, I can't find anything that tells me the frequency bands that the 4 different VCO's correspond to. Without this information, I am groping in the dark a bit. If 30 and 20m share a VCO with each other and with no other bands, then I am probably looking in the right area. If not, back to the drawing board. If you know which VCO corresponds to which band, please let me know.
Next step is to get poking about with the frequency counter, I think...
It's all very exciting.

73,

John

John Wayman <g4drs at btinternet.com> wrote: Hello,
I'm looking for an expert who can point me towards the most likely reason for my FT1kmp to stop working on 30 and 20m, both on receive and transmit, whilst continuing to work on the other bands.
My guess is one of the relays that switch the bandpass filters, but you may be able to save me the whole fault-finding thing, either by saying 'Yes, that's what was wrong with mine.' or 'No, mine was the xxx.'
Thanks for reading.

73
John