[UK-CONTEST] "Collecting" QSLs...

Danny Higgins danny.higgins at keme.co.uk
Sun Dec 16 17:12:27 EST 2007

G3SJJ wrote:
> Interesting you mention shoebox Peter. I know QSLing brings a lot of
> enjoyment to a lot of people, so despite Roger's comment I am not
> "anti," I just find it doesn't do anything for me. I was given a shoebox
> full of G8D and GU8D cards at HFC by John G3LZQ who unselfishly spends
> his time and money dealing with them for me for which I am most
> grateful. So, I get home, have a browse through them, see one from Andy
> GU4WTN, see one with a picture of G4RCG's QTH which is interesting, see
> one from Gozo reminding me a recent holiday. I am now about 10% of the
> way through and losing interest. A couple of days later on a visit to
> the local recycling centre, with a great feeling of some kind of guilt,
> I carefully place the box in the paper skip. I give some thought to the
> designer, printer, filler-in, post person, buro sorter, sub-manager and
> finally post person, but really the ulitmate destination is re-cycling.
A few years ago (before the Post Office started killing the hobby of
stamp collecting by bringing out too many pointless issues) I used to go
to a monthly stamp auction in Southampton where on one or two occasions
there would be a box of QSL cards in amongst the ephemera.  These always
went for silly prices.  One box of a couple of thousand went for £28.
Why not fund your RSGB membership by selling your surplus QSLs?

Danny, G3XVR