[UK-CONTEST] Propagation OT

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 27 14:31:56 EST 2007

Well not as OT as QSLs and RSGB HQ move,- that's my excuse!

How on earth can we explain Es propagation this evening extending from
50Mhz all the way down to 14Mhz by 19:00z?

I abhor the whole cluster ethos, but I have to admit that I was alerted
to this phenomenon by a local cluster watcher who reported spots for 10m
around 18:15z. Sure enough, flip the rx to 10m, and with the antenna
cranked down to 15ft and pointed due West, there were S9 DLs. I tune the
rx to 50Mhz, forgetting that the antenna was still the HF beam ( pointed
West at 15ft), and there was an OM and a gignormous S9 DL station. When I
twig the antenna error, I listen on the 2 el 6m quad, and the band is
full of Russian(?) video signals, but strangely no beacons. Where is the
quad pointing? Good question, but in the pitch black here out in the
sticks I have no idea until I go downstairs and switch on the outside
light; probably it's unimportant.

Now we all know that Es occurs around the summer solstice ( +/-) and we
can see the logic in that. I had read that in the USA that they have
worked inter-state Es around the winter solstice on 6m, although several
eminent 6m ops on this side had never heard of it. Well, it's here today
alright. What on earth is the technical basis for this when the sun is
overhead about as far South of the equator as it can get, and therefore
in theory can be exerting little influence on the E layer in highish
latitudes in the Northern hemisphere. Oh yes, after dark to boot!

Methinks Es is not quite what it seems, but what it really is I confess
I have no idea. My brain is hurting now, so I think I'll see if there
are any mince pies left in the pantry; perhaps that's help? ;-)

73

Clive