[UK-CONTEST] VU7LD and "Not In Log"

Dave Cree daveg3tbk at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 10:41:16 EST 2007

My commiserations Alex,  very frustrating.

I don't know if the following was happening with VU7, but several times
during  the current 1A4A operation I have heard a "pirate" working
stations in the pile-up, as well as the genuine station. As those worked
by the pirate then stop calling, they obviously do not realise they
don't have a genuine contact. I know this has also happened to me whilst
operating from overseas.  The pirates ape the genuine operator well, and
at times are almost indistinguisable. On one occasion I went  QRT to go
to work. When I arrived in the office and logged on to the cluster I
found "I" was still running the pile-up!  Lots of not-in log notes
written on returned QSL cards. All very sad, but becoming more and more
frequent.

I think, however, there  may well be many frustrated operators after
VU7, especially on RTTY where I think they were regularly mis-reading
calls and not acknowledging (or listening to) attempted corrections. The
lack of confimations of QSOs by some VU7 operators on RTTY before taking
the next station also caused misgivings. Hopefully some band/mode gaps
will be plugged by the next operation which appears to be promising 10
MHz  activity also.

  73 es HNY, Dave