[UK-CONTEST] High Winds...Rope ?

Bob Henderson bob at 5b4agn.net
Fri Jan 12 05:19:40 EST 2007

Hi Adrian

You say your biggest problem will be getting your towers up or down in high
winds.  I assume you are talking about crank-up towers in that case?

The first part of the above problem is easy to answer.  You never attempt to
crank a tower up in high winds!  The answer to the second part of this, is
that when you have crank-up towers you need to take steps to be aware when
high winds are likely.  You then crank down your towers in advance.  If you
get caught out and your towers are up while high winds are developing and
the sections become locked together due to wind pressure then you will need
the assistance of a second person if you are to stand a chance of retracting
the towers.

Now to the issue of guying.

You should understand that crank-up towers are mostly NOT designed to be
guyed in the way a fixed tower would be.  The accumulated tensions in the
guy system translate into a downward force on the tower itself for which it
is not designed.  Ignorring wind, this force is a dead weight headload, all
of which would have to be supported on your tower cables.  This is not a
great idea, as it substantially reduces the usable headload of the tower.
That said, the attachment of low tension guys for the purposes of
stabilisation in modest wind conditions is of benefit and this for two
reasons.

1. These will stop your towers from leaning uncomfortably and looking untidy
in modest winds.

2. They provide a means by which a second person can assist you in
retracting a jammed tower before the winds get high enough to cause serious
damage.

I have used the same P80HD for 12 years now and it has always been heavily
(over)loaded.  Currently it supports a F12 C31XR, a Cushcraft XM240, a 5 ele
6m yagi  and an 80m delta loop, all on a very heavy 20ft chrome molly mast.
All the above apart from the delta loop are rotated by an M2 Orion rotator.
I use 10mm polypropelene rope to add stability to the system, providing the
benefits detailed in 1 & 2 above.  If it looks like it's going to be
dangerously windy I retract the tower to about 45-50ft.

Yes the poly rope stretches.  That's ok for this purpose.  It's also not UV
stable over long periods.  I have to change mine every two years here but we
see more sun than you do.

I hope this helps you with your planning.

73

Bob, 5B4AGN