[UK-CONTEST] High Winds...Rope ?

Don Beattie g3ozf at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 12 05:26:52 EST 2007

Adrian,

Bob Henderson wrote:

> I have used the same P80HD for 12 years now and it has always been heavily
> (over)loaded.  Currently it supports a F12 C31XR, a Cushcraft XM240, a 5
> ele
> 6m yagi  and an 80m delta loop, all on a very heavy 20ft chrome molly
> mast.
> All the above apart from the delta loop are rotated by an M2 Orion
> rotator.
> I use 10mm polypropelene rope to add stability to the system, providing
> the
> benefits detailed in 1 & 2 above.  If it looks like it's going to be
> dangerously windy I retract the tower to about 45-50ft.

This is almost exactly the strategy I use here (on a windy hilltop on
Shropshire), although I can't claim to have quite the collection of hardware
on top that Bob has.

Touch wood, everything has survived well. Key thing is to keep it generally
at (in my case) 55-60 ft and when it is up athe full height, to keep a
careful eye on the met office website - recently dramatically improved,
incidentally - you can now get a forecast for 5 days for your postcode.

73

Don, G3BJ