[UK-CONTEST] AFS CW G3SJJ

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 14 16:16:27 EST 2007

Bloody awful!!!!      251.   Dipole at 57ft apex, ends up at least at 45ft.

- Chose 3530, it seemed to take ages to get a run going, normally get a
pile up from the off. Recall last year was the same. Why? Too high up
the band these days I think. Managed 97 in first hour which is slow for
me, but see next point.

- Ten minutes in and I was deliberately QRMd. Called by someone using an
electronic keyer, probably an older design without Auto Character
Spacing and Dot?Dash memory. He could handle the speed OK, matching my
30/32wpm. Every QSO I made he came back either with another callsign, or
GW3G something, or CQing. I think this has been mentioned before.

- At 1425 went S&P but found a clear spot on 3538 at 1454, stayed there
for the duration.

- Caught up later but still bad. Got a lot of SO2V in 3rd and 4th hours.
I think propagation favoured M3/M4 corridor.

- Win-Test is weird with WinKey/Microham. Unfortunately I haven't got a
CT prefix so I can't get any support for this. The speed between
external paddle and F Keys is all over the place. You choose independent
speed pots and you can't change paddle speed, or speed control toggles
between the two numbers in the rate window. It's hopeless. Secondly, if
you send anything on the paddle before hitting Ins/Fx etc, they don't
work. There is definitely problems with mH and WT.

- This also show up using DVK. I have to hit Escape before sending an F
Key message.

- I am very much tending towards plan to work EUs rather than QRS UK, so
I would support G3SVL's proposal.

Not a happy bunny, Chris G3SJJ