[UK-CONTEST] AFS and QRS.

David Gould dave at g3ueg.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 10:58:11 EST 2007

A lot of the comments about AFS and the QRS debate have been from
people who are proficient, very experienced, and get a buzz from
working at high speed.  I would like to put an alternative view.

I will fully admit that I find CW hard, but I would like to be more
proficient and I do spend time with the excellent Koch trainer.  I
try to put in a showing in some of the events to give people some
points and to support efforts like GB5HQ to give them the extra 6
band mode slots over and above the SSB slots which were easy for me.

Yesterday I had a go in AFS and came away very downhearted.  I spent
some time in the QRS corrall (which I think is an excellent idea, but
some people were still sending at 25-30wpm)  but ventured "south" a
few times. I was only operating S & P.  I only ever called someone
after they had put out at least one or usually two unanswered CQ
calls.  Only one person slowed down to something approaching my speed
(abt 15wpm), one other did slow down after I asked them to QRS, the
rest just carried on regardless.  Because of when I called I don't
think I spoilt anyones "rate" but did give a few people an extra QSO.

Does the "Good Practice" action of slowing down to the speed of the
person calling not apply in contests?  Or are people like me not
welcome in amongst those who are proficient in high speed CW?  I
thought that one of the purposes of contests like AFS was to
encourage newcomers and the less proficient!  I would have thought
operating considerately would make the less proficient more
comfortable operating anywhere in the band and therefore allow the
QRS corrall to be made narrower, as has been suggested.

Is there a problem here of technology constraining good practice...
My rig has a speed knob which I can change easily,  with a lot of the
sending being automated by computer is it perhaps difficult to change
the speed **EASILY**  within the major logging programs, or dare I
say it,  have a normal key in parallel with the computer keying?

Any suggestions as to how to re-energise my motivation?

73,
Dave G3UEG