[UK-CONTEST] Progressing in Contesting

philhss at tesco.net philhss at tesco.net
Mon Jan 15 20:14:39 EST 2007

> but the callers (regardless of experience) must not call at a speed faster than they can copy.
>
> Dave G4BUO

CQWW was fun due to this aspect - amongst others of course - but it was fun to return a strong clear station calling CQ at the same speed as the caller, only to be asked for a repeat. Twice. After a quick QRS, the QSO was completed. If only they'd call at a reasonable rate in the first place.....

I always take a while to get up to speed at the beginning of a contest and try to get on air a bit prior so as to be around the 30+ WPM mark at the outset instead of 25 or so. I don't always get the opportunity to do so, but during CQWW from VK6 I experienced stations returning my CQs at breakneck speed - significantly higher than my calling speed - but most would calm down after I sent 'QRS'. The stations that slowed were more often than not, Americans, interestingly, whilst the eastern Eu crowd generally didn't bother to slow down. Some got into the VK6BAA/6 log, the others didn't.....

Cheers,

Phil Smeaton
VK2BAA / G0HSS

PS Thank Heavens for Aircon - it's a tad warm here!