[UK-CONTEST] QRS Contest

Marc Tinkler marc.tinkler at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 05:21:26 EST 2007

> In order to raise your speed, you do need to stretch yourself beyond
> where you are now, and obviously that increases the risk that you might
> "crash and burn".

Dear All

I am a relatively recent CW contester (RTTY is my other favourite) and I needed
to stretch myself to be able to compete. So I ended up using the following
software: (Google them to find download sites)

Morserunner (great fun with calls you know ... I even worked Lee G0MTN on it
hi)

Koch training software from G4FON... essential to programme your brain to
understand the true character speed... I agree that learning at 5 wpm (or
anything less than character speed of 18 wpm) is counter productive.

...and now I use RufzXP to really pile the pressure on... For those that don't
know it... the software sends 50 calls and scores your performance. It starts
sending at a predetermined speed (I start at 20 wpm). If you get it right, the
next one gets faster and so on... if you get one wrong it slows again. You do
get the chance to hear the call again but if halves the score for that call. I
find I can get to 33-36 wpm and then my poor brain just melts down... some of
you will go way further than that.

Bearing in mind I was just a run of the mill 15-18 wpm man a year or so ago it
shows by using these tools you can really progress off the air.

One caveat, I accept that whilst I can now copy calls and serial numbers easily
at 25 wpm... I wouldn't want to ragchew at this speed... that will come later.

Try them... they work.

73... Marc - G0AZS, K1UG