[UK-CONTEST] Progressing in Contesting

G3SJJ g3sjj at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 16 16:32:15 EST 2007

You hit the point Bob. Sure if we were competing against D4B or CT1BOH
etc running at 40 wpm for 48 hours in CQWW. It could be several more
QSOs and some mults as well so in that respect you are correct, and
therefore long live competition. What really highlighted me against the
growing trend though was finding out that Win Test actually has speeded
up sections as default. An unsuspecting user will assume that either
that is the norm or that it will give him an advantage, which it won't
unless he is in the D4B etc scenario. In fact it could work against him
since many people find speeding up irritating and a casual caller might
not bother. It's all about marketing yourself to the best advantage. The
software should have it as an option for when an operator thinks it
could be useful, but not as a norm. Can you really say that in
Commonwealth Contest, for example, a UK station averaging 10-15 QSOs per
hour, if he is lucky, could find any advantage in speeding up Test or
5NN!!??  Option Yes, norm No.

Anyway, a good topic for discussion over a few beers, and that's well
overdue!

Chris G3SJJ