[UK-CONTEST] CW speed

Stewart Rolfe gw0etf at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 16 17:01:16 EST 2007

Bob Henderson wrote:
> One of the great things about amateur radio contesting is that you can
> participate regardless of your level of expertise.
>
> BUT if you decide to participate and expect to win whilst having limited
> expertise, you're in for a hiding!
>
> Use contests for your own purposes and be realistic about what you're trying
> to achieve.
>
> Your most important competitor is yourself.  Aim to improve on what you did
> last time.
>
> Contestants want to work you..............(etc)
Nicely put Bob.

I wonder if some are trying to flatten out the learning curve too much
and so I try to remember how a pretty average cw op like myself got to
be a 'mid table' cw contester - it didn't happen overnight.

First I was a cw devotee who tried contesting, not the other way round.
Then I did a hell of a lot of listening - to contests, and there's lots
of them. I 'played' at S&P and logging calls and serials; and all the
time I was ofcourse getting air time on the key in normal contacts.

Then I 'gave points away' in some of the big events, particularly on
Sunday evening of a 48 hour contest when every new call is welcomed. I
actually found this easier than my first experience of AFS. I came
across the excellent Morserunner later which helped shine the dull bits.

Nothing comes that easy, for me at least, but I found the contesting
'trip' worth the effort - and I'm still on the learning curve and always
will be. As long as I can beat myself in the next contest I'll be happy.

The secret I suppose is to make the learning curve an enjoyment not a
chore.

Stewart Rolfe, GW0ETF