[UK-CONTEST] CW speed - my thoughts

Bob Henderson bob at 5b4agn.net
Wed Jan 17 11:09:35 EST 2007

I'm not sure my appreciation of the aspirations of the whole range of
participants is adequate to be quite so cut and dry about it.  However it
does seem to me that when faced with an opportunity for a qso with a station
sending too fast for me to read him comfortably, I have a choice.

a) I can ask him to QRS to a speed within my comfort zone.

OR

b) I can listen to him for long enough to figure out his call and the
exchange he is going to give me, then work him at his speed.

These alternatives are valid for S&P contacts in all contests in which a
fixed or incrementing exchange is used.  ( b wouldn't work in Ropoco for
example.)

So...which of the above alternatives is likely to raise my skill as a
contester?  No prizes for guessing ;-)

I always opted for b and did so for two reasons:

1. It continually stretched me, which resulted in a much more rapid
accumulation of skill.

2. I felt much more comfortable with b. Although my rate wasn't that
sparkling, my contacts were quite snappy.  It felt better to be perceived as
a snappy operator, than a drag on rate.

The above implies no criticism of those who would make the alternative
choice, just so long as they have taken time to think through their reasons
for doing so.  Copying at speed is not a problem for me today but I would
far rather QRS for a contact at 15wpm than have no contact at all.

Bob, 5B4AGN