[UK-CONTEST] G4FNL CC SSB event this eve

g4fka at aol.com g4fka at aol.com
Fri Jun 22 15:31:13 EDT 2007

Struggle? Very nearly self destructed!

Came on an hour beforehand. Difficulty working anyone. Two or  three weakish
QSOs then half an hour fruitless CQs and others slotting in  very close either
side. Couldn't they hear me?

Contest started. Nearly two minutes before any response to CQs, 6 minutes
before no 2.

Went S&P - no-one hearing me. 11 minutes in and only 4 QSOs. Then  discovered
that for 71 minutes I'd been transmitting into the wrong  antenna (a short
vertical). Just at that point the right antenna snapped,  blowing against
branches in the wind. Toolbox out, fixed it, toolbox  away, back in the shack. Then
the power supply went. Toolbox out, open  PSU, find problem, fix it, toolbox
away, all working. Check time, 21:26.

Grand total - 4 QSOs.

Aaaaaaaggggghhhhhhhhh!

Geoff G4FKA