[UK-CONTEST] G4FKA - Commonwealth Contest 2007

g4fka at aol.com g4fka at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 14:36:27 EST 2007

A few notes from the west.

Only my third entry in this event so still learning. After 2 part time (12
hours or so) entries in 2005 and 2006 for just over 100 QSOs and  around 2100
points each year I thought it was about time I joined the  overnight brigade
and worked a few more on the low bands. I didn't set a high  target (maybe 20-30
extra Qs with limited antennas) but the main reason was to  learn a bit more
about the lower bands as part of my HF learning curve  after many years as a
VHF addict.

First mistake was not to put up the inv V doublet until night time.  I
thought the 10m vertical would generally outperform the doublet on  the higher bands
but the effect on radiation patterns at the different  bands was very
notable. Second mistake was not to listen on 28MHz at the start.  What do I do on
every other HF event? Start high and work down until I find  a band a bit of
action to S&P. However this time I went straight to 21 and  14. I did return to 28
every so often but only a cursory tune, not the  more detailed check that
this sort of contest demands. I'm still getting  used to the fact that, unlike
the big field days, WW, WPX, IOTA and  the like, there is time in this contest
to listen - must get that into my  brain!

What was effectively a half wave vertical wasn't the best approach on 14MHz
and the S&P hit rate was much lower than last year. 21 was better with  over
double last years meagre total. So at midnight (when I  packed in for 2005 and
2006) I was around 8 Qs behind the previous  years. Still, I thought, the low
bands will deliver. Well it was not to be.  From that point until 0600 I
worked another 22 Qs so hit my "extras"  target with lots of VEs on 3.5MHz.
0400-0600 was a dead zone with only 1  QSO so to stay awake I spent a while listening
to the UK team members to see how  the experts do it. Dawn came and ZL went
in the log on 7MHz at 0600 and I called  it a day. Came back on for another
couple in the log around 0900 so around 18  hours or so in the chair. 7MHz was
most disappointing in QSO numbers compared to  last year (around 30% down) but
did deliver VK (several) and ZL on the  vertical wire so can't complain!

Nice to get a fair share of the DX in a relaxed environment and to bag a
handful of 4-banders.

So how did I do for around 50% extra effort? Yes you guessed it, just over
100 QSOs for around 2100 points!

Another entry that won't win anything but good fun all the same.

Geoff G4FKA