[UK-CONTEST] Commonwealth Contest

Dave Lawley g4buo at compuserve.com
Mon Mar 12 14:07:16 EST 2007

Hi Rob

Get out your atlas and look at the distances between Sydney and Perth,
or Montreal and Vancouver, then compare with the distance between
Edinburgh and London.

Or let's put it another way. If GMs could work G then 80 would turn into
a domestic contest, with even the VEs unable to get a look in. This is
supposed to be a DX contest not a domestic one!

Furthermore, if UK countries counted separately then under the current
scoring scheme UK (but not G) would win every year, which would lead to
a loss of interest in the rest of the world. In living memory there have
been winners from VK, ZL, VE, 9H, 6Y5, and G3FXB came extremely close in
the 70s.

Actually I have never understood why GM GW and GI are separate from G
for DXCC. I suppose devolution makes it a little more explicable but the
DXCC list goes back much further than that. Perhaps you could enlighten
me on that one?

Cheers, Dave G4BUO